Wednesday, November 18, 2009

PeaZip - A good tool for taking backups.

I was in search of a good tool for daily archiving my files which could
1. Compress and archive in .7z format
2. Add datestamp
3. Do these tasks daily .

Initially,I tried Areca-backup .It is good but currently it doesn't support archiving & compressing in LZMA (7z) format.
Now I am using PeaZip to Compress my files in .7z and add timestamp. The best part is we can save a job's definition and import it whenever we need to do archiving.
Here is Peazip's short introduction:
The program features an archive browser interface with search and history features for intuitive navigation in archive's content, and allows to apply fine-grained multiple exclusion and inclusion filter rules to the archive; a flat browsing mode is possible as alternative archive browsing method.

PeaZip allows users to run extracting and archiving operations automatically using command-line generated exporting the job defined in the GUI front-end. It can also create, edit and restore an archive's layout for speeding up archiving or backup operation's definition (this is what I am using).

No comments:

Google